Friday, November 07, 2008

Gratitude- Marriage and Books

I saw on someone's blog where for November they posted something they were grateful for everyday leading up to Thanksgiving. We might be 7 days late in starting, but I thought we would give it a try.

Jon: I'm grateful for our marriage today. I've been thinking about what it means to be married and why that is so important. Being married means companionship and comfort, support and love. It means sacrifice and selflessness, striving for something bigger than 'us'. But if that was all it meant, there would be something missing. It also means bringing children to a loving family where they can grow up and learn to experience the same joys I have found. It also means striving for the divine, to become like our heavenly parents, in much the same way our children strive to become like us. Marriage is more than just an expression of love and commitment, it is an opportunity to grow and stretch and put on more of the divine and put off more of the mundane.

Rachel: Now I have to follow that with something much simpler. I am very grateful for marriage and I will build up to my reasons why closer to Thanksgiving. Lately, I've learned to appreciate the simple, especially after a family night on gratitude and the simple things our kids have said they are grateful for. So today I am going with books. I am grateful that I can read them, for libraries that lend them, and for the few I have. At the end of a tiring day, my brain is usually fried and not good for activities that require too much thought. I don't like tv much so I read to unwind. I read a little of everything- english classics, anne of green gables, vampires, mountain girls, sci fi, etc. Right now I am reading Lord of the Rings for the first time through and am on the third novel. I can go anywhere I want to in a book. I believe that art does awaken and refine us and can show us who we are. Good books change as we do and I can read some books a dozen times and still get something out of it.

No comments: