Friday, May 21, 2010

Twinkie Abuse

The other day I was out shopping at our new fabulous Winco (love the bulk!) when an old guy came up to me to get a couple boxes of twinkies from a display I was standing by. He says pointing to Katie "I bet she loves these". That totally threw me off and as I thought about it I blurted out "You know, I don't think she's ever had any". He kind of gave me a weird look and moved on. As I went along I noticed that almost everyone in the store had at least 2 boxes of twinkies in their shopping cart. Must have been a good sale, but this doesn't induce me to join the crowd and buy some. I don't think I've had twinkies since I was a child. Not because I am against this all american dessert per se but more because for a very long time my stance has been homemade desserts over processed desserts. If I'm going to indulge my sweet tooth it's going to be the good stuff. There are exceptions every now and again, but all in all I am not a processed dessert person. I haven't even craved twinkies in pregnancy, though I will admit to powdered doughnuts and mint oreos on rare occasion.

The story continues though. I am walking to my car after buying my goods for the week and parked a couple spaces down from me is the guy who was buying twinkies. He sees and recognizes me, immediately grabs a box of twinkies from his trunk, opens it, and comes over and offers one to Katie. I'm quite sure my face turned four shades of red in embarrassment. I told him it would be fine and he gives her one and heads back to his car. Just for the record, I feed my kids plenty of sugary snacks I am not one of those moms who bans sugar from the house- though I don't allow fruit loops and the reason behind that is a long story for another day. My kids have never had Twinkies, ho hos, nutter butter bars, brownies from a box, cheesecake from a box, or most things from the hostess store unless someone else gave it to them and I don't feel sorry for them at all. Instead they have had homemade brownies, cookies, cupcakes, cheesecake, etc. I've never heard them complain. I know what most of those things taste like, and I don't miss it.

No comments: