Wednesday, September 02, 2009

New Names

A cousin of the kids is having their name changed due to some special circumstances. As we tried to explain this change to the kids they decided they wanted to change their names too. So Jacob would now like to be known as Midna, a girl character in Zelda: Twilight Princess. Sam would now like to be known as Butt....(some dirty looks from his parents)...on, Button. And Katie would like to be Yellow. I don't believe that will happen anytime soon. I have now discovered why young children don't pick their names. I suppose if everyone did it would be a societal norm to have odd names like that, but just the same I'm really glad we don't.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I think Yellow could actually work for Katie! Button is cute, but Sam would get far too much delight from shortening it! Dad was saying how, in native american culture, a person changed their name after every significant life event. And I've heard of other cultures where a person picks their own name, but I don't remember at what age. Makes me think of what I might have been called at different stages of my life...

Butterfly Wings said...

I am positive I wouldn't have done better at their age. If I was lucky I would have picked a color like Katie but more in likely it would have been a cartoon character like Jacob. Given that this was the 80's it would have been something like Smurf, Strawberry Shortcake, or Sheira.